The rapidly evolving demands of the 21st century include everything from climate change to demography, shifting customer requirements and expectations, the rise of technology, globalization, new markets, and new attitudes to work. Leaders must now operate in a way that inspires and engages people, while simultaneously addressing changing customer requirements and delivering results. Finally, all of these needs to be achieved with a sense of urgency, as the experienced leaders of the “Baby Boomer”generation continue to retire at pace.
Leading in a VUCA world that is Volatile, Uncertain, Complex and Ambiguous (VUCA) not only provide a challenging environment for leaders to operate and for executive development programs to have an impact: it also provides a much-needed range of new competencies. The new reality is resulting in the realization that new and different capabilities are needed to succeed.
In particular, leaders today must deal with:
- Volatility in economic conditions, including a slowly recovering economy and looming interest rate increases, and changing customer requirements.
- Uncertainty brought about by increasing globalization, as well as regulatory and legislative changes.
- Complexity driven by revolutionary technology changes impacting organizational products, and ongoing demand for increased innovation in a climate of rapid technological evolution.
- Ambiguity brought about by the generational shift accompanied by Baby Boomer retirements and NextGen Leaders rising to take more and more senior roles. All of these factors combine to create an extremely dynamic climate that puts pressure on leaders to excel.
To lead successfully in the VUCA World, leaders need to LEAP through the fog and demonstrate the cognitive readiness competencies as explained in the next section and also possesses the following traits:
Liberal: open to new behaviour or opinions and willing to adapt or discard existing values if and when necessary to adapt to the new world
Exuberant: filled with lively energy with sense of passion and optimism in engaging the team and other stakeholders
Agility: proficiently change and evolve the learning organisation with nextgen leadership competencies including cognitive readiness, critical thinking and emotional & social intelligence amongst others.
Partnership: Build trust-based partnership with teams (intra & inter) as well as externally with other stakeholders including customers and suppliers.
With over 30 years of experience in international business, executive coaching and leadership development, there is no doubt that Professor Sattar Bawany is one of the most trusted experts when it comes to international business strategies.
At present, Prof Bawany holds the following professional appointments:
- Chief Executive Officer, Centre for Executive Education
- Managing Director & Master Executive Coach, EDA Asia Pacific
- Strategic Advisor of International Professional Managers Association (IPMA)
- Senior Advisor & Adjunct Practice Leader, Talent Management of Cegos Asia Pacific
- Faculty Member of Harvard Business Publishing Corporate Learning
- Faculty Member of the Duke CE Global Learning Resource Network (GLRN)
- Adjunct Faculty & Executive Coach of ICLIF Leadership & Governance Centre
- Adjunct Professor of Strategy at the Paris Graduate School of Management (PGSM) and Curtin Graduate School of Business (CGSB)
Additionally, he has also held the following professional appointments in the past:
- Managing Director and Talent Management Practice Leader, DBM Asia Pacific
- Head of Transition & Executive Coaching Practice, DBM Asia Pacific
- Business Leader, Global Information Services, Mercer HR Consulting, Asia Pacific
- Head of Learning Services & Senior Consultant Organisational Effectiveness and Management Development (OEMD), The Hay Group, Asia Pacific
- Head of Business Development, Forum Corporation, Asia Pacific
- Senior Consultant, Sales, Service & Leadership Development, Mercuri International
Professor Bawany has coached a range of leaders, from CEOs to high potential managers. His talks focus on encouraging individual initiative and leadership from a systemic perspective in order to achieve clearly defined business results. His specialty is linking people processes to business outcomes. Prof Bawany’s speaking topics are:
- Transforming the Next Generation of Leaders
- Leading and Engaging a Multigenerational Workforce