Chef Dirk Haltenhof, Executive Director Culinary, The Katara Towers, Lusail, Raffles and Fairmont at Raffles Hotels & Resorts, spoke recently at the Informa Saladplate 3rd Japan Festival on “Japanese F&B culture in todays world, hospitality and end user”. He shared, in his virtual keynote, why Japanese food were so fascinating, and what were the latest trend in the industry.
Take a look at some of the event photos below:
Born and raised in Black Forest, Germany, Dirk Haltenhof developed a passion for cooking and technical engineering, being brought up at his parents Hotel/Restaurant. Earning a degree in both, engineering and culinary, completing his apprenticeship in the Bad-Hotel, Bad Teinach, Black Forest (Germany) before working in several Michelin Star awarded restaurants in Europe.
Inspired by some of the most talented Chefs, Haltenhof had the chance for several work stages.
He took over his first Chef de Cuisine position in Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur in the often-recognized signature restaurant, Pacifica Grill & Bar.
During his time in Malaysia, he held the position Executive Sous Chef as well at the prestigious Hotel, before moving on as Executive Chef for the opening of Mandarin Oriental, Macau.
After 6 years in Asia, Haltenhof appeared in the middle eastern board as part of the pre-opening team of The Oberoi Hotel in Dubai as Executive Chef.
Nearly three years post his arrival in Dubai, Chef Dirk took over the role as Resort Executive Chef for Madinat Jumeirah.
After 5,5 years in the UAE, it was time to seek another challenge, this time back in Switzerland with the iconic Badrutt’s Palace Hotel, after 12 years abroad.
Haltenhof brings exceptional management skills and culinary experience combined with food safety management and has held positions in all culinary areas in front and behind the scenes at traditional and modern venues in Europe and Asia.
Dirk enjoys cooking culinary classics with modern techniques and never stops evolving.
With the motto in mind, “Never stop getting better, or you stopped being great”. Inspired by his wife Eri and his 2 daughters, Elisa and Kiara ideas keep coming in.
Dirk loves to travel the world, cooking with friends, swimming, golf and snowboarding.
After two winter and two summer seasons in Badrutt’s Palace in Sankt Moritz, Switzerland, currently discovering the F&B scene in Hong Kong, while working as Executive Chef at the Four Seasons Hotel.
Dirk has received several industry awards and recognitions, to name a few:
- 1st Position at the annual Caterer Power 50 List 2016 in Chefs Category
- Finalist Pro Chef Awards 2015 for Executive Chef of the Year and Pro Chef of the Year
- Caterer Power 50 List 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Innovation Chef of the Year 2013
- MLA Black Box Winner 2008
- Battle of Chefs Winner 2007 Culinair Malaysia
Dirk’s speaking topics are:
- Motivation and Leadership in Service Hospitality
- Food and Beverage, Trends and Innovation
- Well Feeling, Wellness and Health Conscience in F&B
- Hiring and maintaining the best team members
- Culinary topics around restaurants, hotels and dining in Michelin Star and 5* Luxury
- Food education, Training the next generation
- Culinary education, Kids and adult cooking sessions