We at Speakers Connect are proud to present Dr Marie Charles , global healthcare innovator, entrepreneur and motivational speaker.
Dr Charles has spent more than two decades deployed to many of the most isolated, inaccessible and often very hostile regions across 4 continents. This includes war zones, conflict zones, disaster zones and the epicentre of pandemics (such as SARS) including in the most isolated and remote rural areas of Vietnam, China, Cambodia, Kiribati, Thailand, Nepal, South Africa, Surinam, Burundi, Rwanda, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Philippines, Botswana, Lesotho, Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Nigeria, Honduras, Congo Brazzaville, Uganda and many others.
Aside from her valuable contributions in the global healthcare, Dr Charles has also been recognized as a trusted consultant and speaker on the topics of high-impact investing, private equity, corporate finance, innovation & disruptive business systems, entrepreneurship, business leadership, planetary health, global health, public health policy & services, social enterprises, energy efficiency & renewable energy, corporate social responsibility, and the environment.
The international media has variously described Dr Charles as the “Joan of Arc of 21st Century Medicine”, “A doctor without borders”, “one of the key innovators in global healthcare” “one of the world’s most successful high-impact entrepreneurs”.
Take a look at some of the videos below to find out why:
Dr. Marie Charles MD MIA FRGS FRSPH is a medical doctor and entrepreneur with a highly distinguished background in international business, finance and international relations and is widely regarded as one of the world’s most successful high- impact entrepreneurs and key innovator in the fields of healthcare, finance, energy and the environment.
Initially groomed to run one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies in Europe, Dr. Charles chose instead to found a series of her own international healthcare enterprises, all of which have gone on to become global leaders in their respective fields, collectively active in over 42 countries.
She has more than 20 years of experience founding, managing and growing multinational companies and organisations, operating in more than 40 countries, which have all gone onto become global leaders in their respective fields.
Dr Charles is executive chair of Tiger Global Holdings, chair and managing general partner of the Tiger Healthcare Group and of Tiger Healthcare Private Equity and executive chair of Tiger Environmental Technologies.
The international media has variously described her as the “Joan of Arc of 21st Century Medicine”, “A doctor without borders”, “one of the key innovators in global healthcare” “one of the world’s most successful high-impact entrepreneurs”.
Dr Charles’ long list of qualifications include being:
- an expert advisor to the European Union’s politically independent executive arm, the European Commission
- the founder and chair of the internationally renowned philanthropic organisation Global Medic Force
- a recipient of the Medal of Honour (2007) from the President of Vietnam for having saved more lives in that country than any other physician in history
- a Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine, Fellow of the Royal Society for Public Health, Fellow of the Royal Society for Tropical Medicine & Hygiene, Fellow of the Aspen Institute, Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society
- a member of the International Institute for strategic Studies and an Associate of the Royal College of Physicians
- holder of an MD degree from KU Leuven and a Masters in International Affairs from Columbia University in New York (where she became fluent in English as her sixth language)
- a former Adjunct Professor at the Columbia University School of International Relations and Public Affairs (SIPA) in New York
- a COO of the University of Amsterdam International Antiviral Therapy Evaluation Centre
- a Fellow at the Royal Geographical Society
- a qualified Close Circuit Rebreather Technical Diver, Master Diver, Emergency First Responder Diver, Rescue Diver, Deep Diver and Enriched Air/Nitrox Diver
- the subject of several television and radio documentaries (including those for BBC and PBS network), bestselling and award winning industry defining books, feature news articles and interviews, international professional medical journals
- a regular columnist on high-yield, high-impact investing in one of the most affluential magazines in Europe.
As part of her ongoing professional commitments, Dr Marie Charles is regularly featured at many of the world’s most prestigious international conferences and speaking engagements, including specialised closed presentations sessions which include but are not limited to: the United Nations, the Credit Suisse Global Investment Forum, Harvard University, Oxford University, the Annual Asian Private Equity & Venture Capital Forum, Yale University, the Aspen Institute, Heineken, the Royal Geographical Society, Johns Hopkins, the Entrepreneurs Summit, the World Health Organisation, JP Morgan Chase, Pfizer, the Zurich Family Office Investment Forum, Duke University, the NHS, the IFC, USAID, Brown University, Bristol Myers Squibb, Columbia University, the Global Philanthropy Forum, Morgan Stanley, UCLA, Renaissance Weekends Group, UBS, Merck, Cornell University, ASHOKA, the National Defence Academy of Vietnam, Wellcome Trust, J&J Foundation and many others.
Dr Marie Charles’ speaking topics are:
- High Impact Investing– maximising financial investment returns while creating genuine, large scale benefits to society.
- Optimising Global Philanthropic Outcomes -disruptive change models to optimise real philanthropic impact outcomes locally, nationally and globally.
- Extreme Inspiration & Motivation – extraordinary lessons learned from the front line of life while saving millions of lives every year in the most hostile conditions imaginable across 4 continents.
- Entrepreneurism – the fascinating evolutionary psychology and epigenetics of entrepreneurs… are they born or can they be made?
- Disruptive commercial models to optimise business success – for maximum business success you need to break something old to make something new.
- Your personal legacy, making your life really count for something – we only have 600,000 hours in our very short lives, so how do you make them really count?
- Shedding tears in the footsteps of Livingston– in the last 50 years alone, USD$ 2.3 trillion has been spent on aid to Africa, and we are still treating exactly the same diseases in exactly the same locations today that medical explorers like Livingston were trying to treat 150 years ago. What happened to all of the money?
- Living to 120 by hacking evolutionary biology -what the ultra rich are doing to extend their life spans and what you can do as well.
- You will be the death of me -why are up to 80% of all deaths throughout the developing world caused by entirely treatable diseases?