Our client in the pharmaceutical industry has recently engaged David Lim, Singapore-based inspirational speaker to motivate the team on how to create a winning culture and be resilient while facing difficulties.
Below is the outline of his presentation:
In LESSONS FROM EVEREST, David Lim not only shares the triumphs of reaching the summits in one’s life but also the following
- Selling the dream: the ‘sales’ mindset that helped raise $1 million to float the 3 year project to train, equip and climb Mt Everest; after an initial rejection by over 120 prospective sponsors. He shares how we can improve our approach by selling based on outcomes, and not features; and avoiding the errors of narccissitic marketing
- The Three Keys to creating a Winning Culture: realise that culture will eat strategy for breakfast, we can create a winning culture by working on creating the right environment, focusing on “SOBs” and the practising “Fierce Dialogues” inside our organisations
- Excellence in Execution – what works when in the midst of ‘execution’, setbacks occur? David shares invaluable lessons on goal ownership, tracking of progress and cultivating a ‘we can do it’ mindset in the world;s most hostile places
- Resilience – for too long, the poor cousin of “Motivation” global events of the past 2 years have shown that this skill (yes!) is highly underrated. David’s own personal medical catastrophe and two decades-long study of this skillset has allowed him to share the Three ‘R’s of resilience; and this is a learnable skill by anyone
- The New Frontier: When Everest has now been climbed by over 10,000 mountaineers, what do climbers do to keep pushing the envelope of the ‘known’ and into the next level from a perspective of their craft, sport and skillset? David’s challenges and successes in climbing virgin peaks in far flung areas brings home the message that we are in the constant “Cycle of Change” and navigating the Five Stages swiftly will make us stand apart from the competition in turbulent times
David Lim, CSP is best known for leading the landmark 1st Singapore Everest Expedition in 1998 (as well as the second in 2001). Partially disabled from a devastating rare nerve disorder since 1998, his comeback story of overcoming the odds made the cover of the Readers Digest magazine in 2001, and has since been translated into eight languages, and reaching over 35 million readers. He worked in media for nearly a decade until 1999.
Since 1999, David has been a sought-after leadership expert, with expertise in motivational and negotiation skills, and, building high performing teams. These add value to any client event or sustainable change initiatives. David has a B.A. in Law from Cambridge University, and a workshop leader with a decade of experience delivering solutions in negotiation, leadership and team skills across 71 cities, and 30 countries (and still counting!).
David’s presentation style is breezy with lots of humour, audience-interactive and backed not only by decades of leadership achievement, but also with the rigour of an understanding of how adults learn. This makes his solutions to a presentation or event programme so very different than just hiring an ‘achiever’ type of speaker who may lack a people-development background.
David is also a credentialed workshop leader, large-group faciliator and teambuilder. His leadership expertise has been widely profiled in The Wall Street Journal, and Singapore’s The Straits Times newspaper. As a mountaineer, The Sunday Times described him as “unstoppable” after he summitted his 7th virgin peak in 2012.
A past President of the Asia Professional Speakers (2007-8), his work included being an adjunct lecturer for INSEAD Business School (since 2000). David hasn’t given up climbing, and is a veteran of over 70 alpine and expedition ascents around the world, and achievements in recent years have included scaling 6000-metre virgin peak in Qinghai and making the first single-day, mobility-impaired ascent of the 4092m Mt Kinabalu in Borneo in 2013.
David is a CSP(Certified Speaking Professional), the first and only Singaporean to be conferred the highest designation for professionalism and consistent quality by the National Speakers Association and the Global Speakers Federation (GSF). The CSP is an independent audit of five years information on the firm’s quality, processes and maturity.He joins a group of fewer than 12% of 6000 professional members of the GSF who have this accreditation.
David also received in the new CSPGlobal designation in Dec 2013 -The credential is conferred on those who have proven mastery of the core global speaking competencies with fewer than 30 professionals worldwide having attained this credential.
David’s clients include:
IBM, INSEAD Business School, Prudential, ABN AMro, Citibank, Actis, Novartis, sanofi aventis. Pfizer, Boston Consulting Group, Maersk, Amadeus, Maruti, TATA Steel, Singapore Telecommunications, Bvlgari South Asia, Ministries of Manpower, Defence and Education ( in Singapore ) Media Development Authority ( Singapore ) and many more.
David‘s speaking topics are:
- Lesson From Everest
- Creating a shared success vision
- The Wake Up test of personal values
- How to set goals, and get them
- Lim’s Action-Motivation Quadrant in bringing dreams into reality
- Overcoming enormous odds
- Doing more with less; having the Alpinist Attitude
- The Five ‘C’s choosing the right people and the right team
- The Fact/Belief Tool
- Negotiation Skills
David conducts full-day Negotiating to Win™ workshops for corporate executive to polish their negotiating skills.
Contact us if you are interested to engage David Lim to host a Negotiating to Win™ workshop for your organisation.