Ajmal Samuel, Hong Kong-based entrepreneur, endurance athlete and disability rights activist, handcycled from Beijing to Mohe (Chinese border with Russia), a total distance of 2,615 Km in 37 days, in 2019, to raise awareness of disabled sports in China and Hong Kong and to raise funds for the education of needy children in Hong Kong, in partnership with Inspiring Hong Kong Sports Foundation.
Below are a few messages from Ajmal:
- Step outside your comfort zone and don’t be afraid of the challenges that ensue. Put aside your ego when pursuing new challenges/ventures.
- Parents should let disabled children lead more integrated and normal lives; let children make mistakes and be there for them to learn from their mistakes. Let them build capacity and confidence. Most of the time, this happens through adverse experiences, so never worry if things go wrong.
- In terms of the general public – people need to understand that the responsibility of a disabled person integrating with society lies not only with the affected person; it is shared equally with the general public. It is also the general public’s responsibility to pay attention to and be conscious of the needs and requirements of a disabled person. So, learning and acceptance is a two-way street.
Read more about Ajmal’s interview here.
Ajmal Samuel (施杰浩) is a Hong Kong based Entrepreneur and a Hong Kong national-level athlete.
He is the Founder of OCTO3 Group Holdings Limited, a Hong Kong headquartered ICT and Financial Technology Solutions Provider with local presence in Thailand, Singapore and Pakistan.
Prior to founding OCTO3, Ajmal worked in various internet technology companies and start-ups in Hong Kong that had applications/implications globally.
Ajmal is also a Founding Member of the Association for Universal Accessibility Hong Kong and volunteers his time as a motivational speaker for numerous Non-Governmental Organisations, youth bodies and Corporations and Companies.
Before coming to Hong Kong in 1993, Mr. Samuel worked in Germany for Kindernothlife, an NGO focused on child-care, health and education, looking after their Asian programmes and prior to that, he was a Commissioned Military Officer in the Pakistan Military.
He is a graduate of The Pakistan Military Academy (PMA) Peshawar University. He is a fellow of the Hong Kong Institute of Directors (fHKIoD), a Member of the Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), International Computer Society, and Association for Computing Machinery.
In addition to his busy career and hectic lifestyle, Ajmal is also a serious and avid sportsman, having participated in various triathlons, marathons and regattas around the world. He has represented Hong Kong in Single Scull rowing (ASM1x class) in various regattas and competitions:
- Asian Championships in Korea, 2018 – Gold Medal
- Australian National Championships in Sydney, 2015 – Silver Medal European Rowing Championships in Italy, 2015 – Silver Medal World
- Championships in 2015 in France – Ranked 20th in the world Asian Championships in 2015 in Beijing – Bronze medal
- Asian Games in Seoul, 2014 – Ranked 4th in Asia
He was actively involved in making Hong Kong Standard Chartered Marathon inclusive for wheel chair participants. He also regularly participates in numerous charity and fund raising races and events. In 2017 Mr. Samuel set a new record after having participated and completed the gruelling Around The Hong Kong Island Race (ATIR) as part of a physically challenged team.
Beyond his many sporting medals, Mr. Samuel is also the recipient of the Rick Hansen Difference Maker Award (April 2011), the RTHK 有能者聘之嘉許行動，自強不息大獎 (August 2011) and was chosen to be part of the Diversity List by Zubin Foundation (March 2017).
Ajmal Samuel is a naturalized Hong Kong Chinese Citizen.
Ajmal‘s speaking topics are:
- Motivational – having experienced professional failure and personal hardship in becoming a paraplegic
- Business strategies
- Athletic coaching – personal experiences, including handbiking, single sculls, preparation for races, diets, practice, teamwork
- Financial Technology and Infrastructure
Contact us if you would like Ajmal Samuel to inspire your team.